NAB announces $1 million Disaster Relief Fund
* On 7 January 2020, NAB announced additional relief and recovery measures, including $2,000 grants for eligible business and agribusiness customers. More information here.
NAB has today announced a $1 million fund to help people affected by bushfires across Australia.
In recognition of the scale and severity of the bushfires, NAB has created the $1 million Disaster Relief Fund to give customers and employees displaced from their homes ready access to cash, as well as support in the months ahead as communities rebuild homes and businesses.
NAB customers who have lost homes this bushfire season can immediately access $2,000 grants to help cover costs such as temporary accommodation, food and clothing (further eligibility details at end). For information on how to access the grants contact the NAB Assist team on the dedicated number 1300 683 106 (8am-8pm Monday to Friday; and 9am-1pm Saturday AEST/AEDT). NAB employees who have had to evacuate their homes can also access a $1,000 grant.
The $1 million Disaster Relief Fund is in addition to the $250,000 already committed to bushfire affected communities in NSW, SA and QLD in the past two months. The fund will also be used to provide ongoing support during the rest of the year, as the scale of the impact of these natural disasters on people and businesses becomes clearer.
Other support measures NAB is providing include:
- Financial relief measures for customers impacted by bushfire in Victoria, South Australia, New South Wales, Queensland and Tasmania (see notes for full details).
- Donation collections in branches Australia wide, and via internet banking, for Australian Red Cross’ relief and recovery work. For Internet Banking donations, select: Funds Transfer » Donation » Charity » Australian Red Cross – NSW & QLD or Australian Red Cross – SA, VIC, WA & TAS
- Dedicated hardship bankers from our NAB Assist team working on the ground in affected communities
- Counselling support for our customers available via NAB’s Employee Assistance Program
NAB Chief Customer Officer – Consumer Banking, Mike Baird said the extent of damage across Australia was hard to comprehend.
“I have heard the grief in our bankers’ voices as they grapple with making sure our colleagues are safe and at the same time dealing with the impact more broadly on their own communities,” Mr Baird said.
“There are horrific tales of lost homes, lost livelihoods and most tragically, the loss of loved ones. Many families and businesses face an uncertain future and we want to do all we can.
“The Disaster Relief Fund is designed to assist our customers, colleagues and communities as they deal with the personal impact of the bushfires both immediately and throughout 2020.
“Customers in need of support should visit a NAB branch or call our NAB Assist team on 1300 683 106.
“In addition, any Australians who wish to donate to help Australian Red Cross’ support efforts in these communities can do so at any NAB branch across Australia or by logging into NAB Internet Banking.”
Mr Baird said in addition to the Relief Fund, NAB had a longstanding policy to provide our emergency service volunteers as much paid crisis leave as they require during emergencies, such as the current bushfires across Australia.
- Australia’s banks are working together to ensure cash is accessible in the areas most affected by the bushfires.
NAB’s ongoing natural disaster financial relief measures include:
- Credit card and personal loan relief where appropriate;
- Suspending home and personal loan repayments;
- Support to manage existing regional and agribusiness bank facilities;
- Waiving costs and charges for withdrawing term deposits early;
- Waiving home loan and personal loan application fees;
- Support to restructure other existing bank facilities; and
- Provision of support and counselling by making NAB’s Employee Assistance Program available to customers.
- For any NAB merchant terminal customer impacted by the current bushfires and in need of support, please contact the Merchant Helpdesk on 1300 369 852 (between 7am – 7pm AEST) – they’re ready to help.
Further assistance for customers who need help:
- Visit their nearest open NAB branch, contact their banker directly or call NAB Assist on 1300 683 106 (8am-8pm Mon-Fri, or 9am-1pm on Saturdays AEST/AEDT).
Eligibility criteria for the $2,000 grant is centred around:
- A current customer or employee of NAB Group. For customers: need to have been a customer on or before 2 January 2020 and hold at least one active account;
- Have lost your primary place of residence during the current bushfire season (rent or own) – meaning that the property is no longer in a liveable condition;
- One grant per household (a household is defined as an address);
- Only available for primary residences, not for investment properties.
All enquiries will be assessed on a case-by-case basis, with the NAB Assist team to determine eligibility.