Beginning today, NAB customers will receive a letter from NAB CEO, Ross McEwan, reaffirming the bank’s support on issues including scams and financial difficulty.
The letter comes as Australians face rising living costs and a growing number of scams. It is an important reminder of the support available for those who may need it, now or in the future.
In the letter titled “You have our support”, Mr McEwan said help is always available.
The following is a copy of the letter that will be emailed to more than four million customers.
Keeping your money safe and supporting customers through financial difficulty are our top priorities.
You might not find yourself in this situation, but I want you to know what help is available.
Protecting you against scams
It’s clear that the rise in scams is a growing problem in Australia and globally. To tackle this issue, it takes ongoing collaboration with government, business sectors, the community and customers. And that’s what we’re doing.
Each year, we invest millions of dollars into technology and expertise. This means we are monitoring accounts 24/7 to help stop these crimes, and to protect our customers. Recently, we’ve worked with Australian telecommunication companies to introduce measures to help prevent criminals infiltrating bank phone numbers and text message threads. You can read about that by visiting nab.com.au/stopscams
There are things you can do to help protect yourself against scammers too. Here are some tips:
- Unsure whether a call is legitimate? Hang up and call back using the number of the company on their publicly listed website or on the back of your debit / credit card (and not the number the caller gives you).
- Don’t be pressured to click a link and never provide personal banking information. We’ll never ask you to do this or to transfer your money to another account.
- If you want to ensure your safety, communicate with us via your app – it’s authenticated and protected.
- Always double-check payment details. Don’t be pressured into making a payment. Your money’s safe in your account. Visit nab.com.au/fraud to learn what to do in the event of a
Supporting customers through financial difficulty
If you’re worried about your home loan repayments, your business is going through a tough time, or your personal circumstances have changed, know that we’re here to help.
The best thing you can do is reach out to our NAB Assist team or your banker early. In fact, over 90% of customers who do this are back on their feet in 90 days. Here’s how we can support you:
- Our NAB Assist team can provide specialist financial hardship support tools and resources. This includes pausing or reducing payments if you’re having difficulty. Find out more at nab.com.au/wecare
- Do you have affordability concerns? Our home loan specialists can offer a financial health check and discuss your options. To find out more or to make an appointment with us visit nab.com.au/homeloans
- Do you have a fixed rate loan term ending soon? We’ll contact you soon to share online tools to help you assess your options.
- Learn more about these tools and review your situation at nab.com.au/repaymentchanges
- We can help with no-interest loans for those on low incomes – this year we are on track to provide more than $47 million in no-interest loans for essential purchases including household goods, education resources and vehicles. Learn more nab.com.au/nils
We are standing by our customers and you have our support.
Thank you for banking with us,